Sunday, September 23, 2007

Visible and Spiritual

Grant, O Lord, that I may know what I ought to know; that I may love what I ought to love; that I may praise that which is most pleasing to Thee; that I may esteem that which is valuable in Thy sight; that I may despise that which is despicable in Thy eyes.

Suffer me not to judge according to the sight of the outward eye, nor to give sentence according to the hearing of the ears of men that know not what they are about; but to determine both of visible and spiritual matters with true judgment. and above all things ever to seek Thy good will and pleasure.

The sentiments of man are often wrong in their judgments and the lovers of this world are deceived in loving visible things alone.

What is man the better for being reputed greater by man?

One deceitful man deceives another; the vain deceives the vain, the blind deceives the blind, the weak the weak, whilst he extols him, and in truth, doth rather confound him, whilst he vainly praises him.

For as much as each one is in Thy eyes, so much is he, and no more, saith the humble St. Francis.

-- Imitation of Christ